Request for Proposals, Actors Ensemble of Berkeley, Calendar year 2024
Actors Ensemble of Berkeley is calling for proposals for staged readings and main stage plays for the 2024 calendar year. (Click the read more button for full details on how to present a proposal. Proposals are due on or before November 30, 2023.)
Proposals are considered for two categories: A) Outdoor Productions B) Possible Indoor Productions and Staged Readings
Category A) Outdoor Productions would be for a play to be produced in the John Hinkel Park Amphitheatre in one of the following two time periods: Time Period 1 would open on Saturday June 29th and play Saturdays and Sundays plus Thursday July 4th through July 14th. Time Period 2 would open on Saturday August 24th and play Saturdays and Sundays plus Labor Day Monday through September 8th. Auditions for both shows would be in late March or early April, with Time Period 1 beginning rehearsals in mid-May and Time Period 2 beginning early July.
Categories B) do not have a definite schedule or venue attached, but as opportunities open up we will consider submitted material for productions.
Category A) productions should involve a large cast and involve a play with widespread appeal, suitable for an audience that may include children. Shakespeare is a possibility, but we have produced a wide range of material at the park both classical and modern. Comedy is preferred, but straight drama and even tragedy would be considered, especially if such material contains comic elements to leaven the tone. Musical elements are welcome but full-on musicals are not likely to be considered unless the director has considerable musical background and resources at their disposal.
Category B) has far fewer restrictions on content, noting that as venue and timeslot availability is unknown, choice of material will be made in consideration of what performance options arise. Staged Readings provide an excellent way to try out new material and for folks with little or no directorial experience. Collections of short material are also welcome, including productions which involve multiple directors.
Actors Ensemble has a long history of performing in John Hinkel Park, Live Oak Theatre, and elsewhere. Our history of productions is on our website at www.aeofberkeley.org under “Past Main Stage Productions”, “Past Staged Readings” and “Photo Gallery”.
Budgets for these productions are limited. Category A) productions typically have budgets somewhere in the vicinity of $12k all-inclusive. Categories B) and C) are more variable. Director’s reimbursement will be somewhere in the vicinity of $500 for a full production, with lesser amounts TBD for other performance formats.
Actors Ensemble is an all-volunteer organization, with a volunteer board of directors and associated volunteers who work hard to put on 2-3+ productions per year. We welcome new works. We encourage new and upcoming directors and/or members of underrepresented communities to apply. We encourage directors to propose plays which may accommodate a large and diverse cast with varying levels of experience. We have a long history of casting against type, gender, and age, and encourage the same, noting that rights considerations sometimes preclude this.
The responding artist should be the intended Director of the work being considered. Responses should include:
- The title of the work and a brief synopsis
- Any rights considerations and a cost to perform, if known
- A short discussion of why the Director believes in the work proposed.
- If proposing for Category A) or B)
- If proposing for Category A), a short description of why the work will do well in an outdoor setting open to everyone.
- Basic set and prop requirements for the show. If the proposed project requires music or other special considerations, a discussion of how that might be accomplished and what resources the Director may provide.
- The resume of the proposed Director, also noting if the Director has contacts who might be able to function as costume designer, set designer, etc.
- Time slots the Director will be available for such a production. If proposing for Category A), please identify whether the director will be available for Time Slot 1, Time Slot 2, or both.
- If the play is available online or as a PDF, the text of the play or a link as to how to obtain it. If the play is only available in print form, information on how to obtain a copy.
- Any other piece of information which the Director deems suitable as part of their proposal.